What is Zonta International
Zonta International is a leading global organisation of professionals empowering women worldwide through service and advocacy and has been around since 1919. Zonta is on the front lines of global and local efforts to help women overcome barriers to equality through education, service and advocacy programs. There are 1,200 clubs worldwide in more than 66 countries with over 30,000 members.
Zonta International, its districts, and its clubs are nonpartisan and nonsectarian.
Zonta International is a leading global service organisation of professionals empowering women worldwide through service and advocacy.
Zonta International envisions a world in which women’s rights are recognised as human rights and every women is able to achieve her full potential.
In such a world, women have access to all resources and are represented in decision making positions on an equal basis with men.
In such a world, no woman lives in fear of violence.
The Objects of Zonta International
- To improve the legal, political, economic, educational, health and professional status of women at the global & local level through service & advocacy.
- To work for the advancement of understanding, goodwill, & peace through a world fellowship of members.
- To promote justice and universal respect for human rights & fundamental freedoms.
- To be united internationally to foster high ethical standards, to implement service programs, and to provide mutual support & fellowship for members who serve their communities, their nations, and the world.
One third of all club fundraising goes to Zonta International.
About Zonta District 23
Zontians in District 23 (Northern Territory, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria and Western Australia) support a range of service projects and awards at the International, District and Club levels to help women in Australia and overseas.
Our District 23 service projects include
- assembling and distributing birthing kits that provide for a clean and safe birthing environment for women without access to professional medical care in developing countries and
- making and distributing breast care cushions for women (and men) recovering from breast surgery in Australia.
In addition, we support a number of education awards including the Amelia Earhart Fellowships, Jane M Klausman Women in Business Scholarships and Young Women in Public Affairs Awards that provide financial assistance to help ‘kick start’ women’s scientific, business and public policy careers and acknowledge the quiet achievers in the community.
Through Zonta service we can and do make a difference!